Q&A With The Man Behind #KenyaImNotATerrorist By: by Liz Maelane
#KenyaImNotATerrorist is the controversial campaign and brainchild of Hamza Egal and Muna Ismail. We had a brief chat with Hamza Egal ,a lawyer, father and Kenyan Somali, about the deeper issues that face not just our nation but the continent at large. Where are you from and where were you born? I was born in Saudi Arabia to Kenyan Somali parents but raised in the United Kingdom from age 1. Kenya has always been home as we spent every vacation here up until mother’s passing in 1996, when we decided to move back to the country permanently. Were you personally affected either by the Eastleigh attacks or the Mass detention of Somali’s at Kasarani Stadium? I was not directly affected by either. But in the aftermath, I did have an unfortunate encounter with the police who knocked on my door late one night when my family was asleep. They very forcefully demanded to conduct a search. I did not protest, for the sake of my family’s safety, but told them they were welcome to ent...
Comments
Post a Comment